Mister_Penetrator

Superbanshee Siren Pic's Location

Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:21 pm

http://wisconsinsirens.com/pics/Iron%20Ridge%201.jpg

I don't remember if this is the same picture I posted a while back, but what really caught my attention with this pic is that it is located right next to a sewage treatment plant. Are they now using sirens to also alert the surrounding area of an unwanted smell invading the area? :lol:

AllSafe

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:47 am

yep, that's a super banshee. there were only ten of them made.

Archon

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:54 am

No It's a SoundMaster And it's at the sweage treatment plant because that is where there is 3 Phase Electric.

buggsr

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:09 am

Yep...it's a SOUNDMASTER 115DB...I have worked on that baby....it is now one of few left in service.....It originally was run by a Plectron Radio Control....

Nelso90

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:47 am

Does anyone have any pics of the original horizontal soundmasters? They were really cool, I remember they had really beefy choppers.

buggsr

Horizontal Soundmaster

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:55 am

FYI...there never was such a things as a "horizontal Soundmaster"...they were designed as twin rotor vertical mount rigs....with or without dampers for two or three tone operation.....there is also a model with a surrounding fiberglass horn that rotates around the vertical siren to make the 125DB version....Lt. Dan has pictures of several in Wilburton, OK on the net some place....

The city of Henry, TN did however renovate a Soundmaster vertical and converted it to a very effective horizontal mount siren....pictures are available....

SirenMadness

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:20 am

Is the port-ration on the Soundmaster 125 the same as on the other Soundmaster models?
~ Peter Radanovic

buggsr

Soundmaster 125

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:22 am

Send me a regular e-mail address and I'll see if I can locate the info I sent to Ben at Wisconsin Sirens.....I hate to think it got lost forever...

The 125DB Model was identical to the 115DB models....except it had a couple of bearing rings for the souuround to mopve on and a large gear with a worm drive to make the surround rotate....

The contained sound then was forced out thru the horn ports at a higher DB rate to achieve the 125 rating...

These sirens were super simple mechanically and would last for many years if the rotor/stator didn't disintigrate due to icing....there were some made with high powered heater coils lashed around the stator ports to keep them from freezing....how effective this was I'm not sure....

I had a number that had the motor shafts bent from ice forming between the motor housing and the rotor that caused lockup...we used to take them down and have the shaft straightened ... then drill drain holes to keep water from accumulating and freezing....

To many left their sirens sit all winter being afraid to run a test due to ice etc...those that got used daily seemed to survive better....

Ben at Wisconsin Sirens had a whole slew of pictures of the Soundmasters next to new federal models that were replacing them....

The Soundmasters were sold largely in Nebraska - Minnesota - Wisconsin
Joplin Missouri - Oklahoma City - Wilburton, OK and even in Attica, NY...
I saw one still in use in Sutherland, NB some years ago and that one in
Itron Ridge, WI is still active, along with a couple in Rock County, WI that never did get changed out....

The one in henry, TN is a rebuilt from Wisconsin that they chose to mount Horizontally....

The motors were Sterling 20 HP double shaft aand theat was a Japanese
Manufacturer that was owned by Lionel....the demise of the Soundmaster was mostly due to the fact that Sterling quit producing that motor due to the icing defects we mentioned among other resasons...and no suitable replacement was found.....

Soundmaster was owned by a Jim Morgan - a Madison, Wisconsin Attorney who sold fire.police equipment to put himself thru law school....he got into GE Radio and Sirens as part of his interest in the business.....His enterprises folded upon his untimely death by heart attack at a early age.....Sou8ndmaster died with him....

Archon

Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:42 am

I still have the info sheets I scaned them into my computer were they still are.

Jim_Ferer

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:31 pm

I can't see the link.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”