Whelen Rules

SVP sirens

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:22 am

Are these good sirens? They sound a lot like Whelens just slighty lower pitched. I have heard several things on here that Hi/lo is not effective at clearing traffic is this true somebody who knows? I can see why Hi/lo wouldn't be effective if somebody had on the radio it would sort of match in with the guitars and such. i am looking for a durable good but cheap electronic. I like the SVP because of the Phaser which I have found to be very effective at close range and at intersections in conjunction with the horn/horns.
Tyler Lund

Fire32NJetta

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:16 pm

we have one on our ambulance. I like it a lot. Very powerful sounding.

q2bman

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Very good siren. I have an older one. Some of the models sound funky so hear it before you buy it.

Also, the "phaser", "Hyper yelp", whatever you call the accelorated yelp tone is a very good intersection clearing tone. The fast tone realy gets atention. Also, SVP has a siren capable of running two 100 watt speakers broadcasting two different tones. Talk about sweet. 8)
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Whelen Rules

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:54 pm

Could I use a SVP siren with a galls brand 100 watt speaker? I think 100 watts will be enough for my application. A 100 watt whelen speaker is 120-123dB @ 10' and the Galls 100 watt speaker I am looking at is 120 dB @ 10' and its a lot cheaper.
Tyler Lund

q2bman

Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:30 pm

yes you can use any 100 watt speaker with a 100 watt siren.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:26 pm

Yes, Hi-Lo, which I like, may blend in with music and not even be discerned.

Wail is best.
All those other gimmick sounds are not percieved as well by the unexpecting human ear.

WAIL does not blend in with anything, unless it is kept peaked
at one tone.

When arriving at an intersection, why switch to a less loud (to the ears)
less effective sound?

Our Whelen model (?) is a lower range, which some claim penetrates vehicles better.

But below a certain frequency (250 Hz?) speaker driver voice coils can burn out. So sirens have a low frequency cut-off.

I forgot the frequency. Does anyone know?

Thank you,

Whelen Rules

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:48 pm

I guess i'll get the svp siren and hook it to a 100 watt speaker. I will use the siren in conjuction with my red and clear lense Star 9200 mini lightbar, a red dashlazer, front wig wags,tail wig wags,and a amber teardrop light on the left side rear deck. If people don't hear me or see me, I'll hit the horn thats already on the car.
Last edited by Whelen Rules on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Lund

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:15 pm

Whelen Rules wrote:I guess i'll get the svp siren and hook it to a 100 watt speaker. I will use the siren in conjuction with my red and clear lense Star 9200 mini lightbar, a red dashlazer, front wig wags,tail wig wags,and a amber teardrop light in the driverside rear deck. If people don't hear me or see me, I'll hit the horn thats already on the car.
SVP stuff is nice!
Where will you mount siren speaker?

Teardrop is properly called "Kojak" light! (Or is this before your time?)

Why tail wigwags? Do you park at scenes?
If someone becomes confused at a scene, and hits something, they may sue you claiming your tail wigwags confused them.

If you park, turn off everything but your parking lights.
If in a lane of travel, DOT approved 4-way flashers.
If you are protecting an accident from real danger of being hit, use four-way flashers and place your Kojak light on top of your vehicle.

Anything unusual and non characteristic may be grounds for a successful lawsuit.
Don't give lawyers anthing they can use against you.
DOT approved 4-way flashers cannot be used against you - unless
a bulb is burned out.

While responding, conserve electrical energy for the other lights which matter. Teardrop and and tail wigwags do not matter.
Each additionalight does lessen light output of all.

If you are involved in an accident, lawyers will claim your teardrop
light diminished your vision, and blame you!

Whelen Rules

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:35 pm

Yes I do arrive on scenes during emergencies when the proffesionals are tied up( im a CERT member) I also volunteer a lot of time to the EMA.Most of the time When a tornado warning is issued we roll out to get the ignorant people who don't listen to the Tornado sirens to take shelter. So are tail light flashers not effective as to keeping people from running into you? thats what I was going to use them for untill I get to the emergency and shut everything off but the "4 way Caution lights" or the hazzard lights that come with most cars.
Tyler Lund

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:35 pm

Whelen Rules wrote: Yes I do arrive on scenes during emergencies when the proffesionals are tied up( im a CERT member) I also volunteer a lot of time to the EMA.Most of the time When a tornado warning is issued we roll out to get the ignorant people who don't listen to the Tornado sirens to take shelter.
If they are too stupid to learn whatornado sirens mean, let them stay and face the small risk of consequences.
I'd rather be tornado chasing than wasting time on stupid people.
Whelen Rules wrote:So are tail light flashers not effective as to keeping people from running into you?

Correct. They are not as good as 4-way flashers - I forgot they're called Hazard lights.
The bigger issue is that if some dolt gets confused and hits something or someone, lawyers will try to assign some blame to you.
(Anything to lessen their clients liability.)
You may have to spend money to be found innocent.
Whelen Rules wrote:thats what I was going to use them for untill I get to the emergency and shut everything off but the "4 way Caution lights" or the hazzard lights that come with most cars.
Rear tail wigwags use power, which places a little more load on the alternator and engine while accomplishing nothing for your response.

Wigwags may defeat or interfere with your turn signals. If an accident occurs, they may claim you did not use your turn signals - and you get blamed.

Besto use only the approved equipment which came withe vehicle.

Some people use Hazards while responding.
Big mistake.
They add nothing to warning and defeaturn signals.

If you can park off the road, with no lights on, that is best.
Hazards are really meant ONLY when you are on a traveled portion of the roadway or shoulder. If you are off the roadway, and have 4 way's operating, some idiot may claim your "improperly used" lights distracted him and therefore you should share part of the damage costs.

Always be perfectly legal and proper.
Use turn signals for all turns and lane changes.
4-ways where necessary and proper.
NEVER use an arrow stick. That is inviting a world of risk.
Some criminal may purposely hit something and blame your arrow stick.

I'm a worst responder. What is CERT and EMA?

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”