Shinkansen

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Nice.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

q2bman

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:35 pm

robert gift wrote:Why a recording of an electronic siren?

Don'they all sound alike?

Well, I did hear one on Dirty Harry which was much slower rise and fall wail.
But other than that, aren'they all very similar?
Nope, Here is a recording of a Whelen siren in dual mode on the ambulance and a Federal Signal PA-300 on the fire rig. Notice it appears to be a single 100 watt CP-100 in the bumper of the fire truck on the driver side. It seems louder than the dual 100 watt non-reentry type speakers on the ambulance. You theory on the older CP-100 siren speakers seems to be spot on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixkTgLhsJoI
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

q2bman

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Shinkansen wrote:Nice.
Here's another one but you have to wait a while before they turn it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D18ORRYu5Kw

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Q, why is your siren lower pitched?

Did they make them lower back then?

I hate to say lower is better!

People get on my case about keeping the siren silent.

Liked the ***(I've been asked not to use this word before so there is now an automatic replacement censor)*** video where they turned off the siren.
(Notice how worthless the hyperyelp is?)
Also like the Norway ambulance which mostly keptheir siren silent.

loudmouth

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:15 pm

yes becuse its an ambulence and they are trained to use the siren as littel as posible becuse wene they have to carry some one person in the back is more likely to stress out and be more worreyed with the siren going.

the truth with lights being hypnotic is the same with sirens thats why they have that yelp and other calls on the siren. that change from a wail to a yelp or phasser or pericer will get peoples attion. and in that video that seems like a more rural town and its not as congested as a city like mine town or this state.

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:32 pm

Nice steady video, obviously securely mounted in engine 1281.
Was lens as wide as possible?

Sounded like they started up their Q.

But soon I noticed it was too regular in it's rise and fall to be manually operated.
Is it an eQ?

What a ridiculous waste having two electronic sirens!

One is good enough, especially when they have a real air horn.

Also funny hearing them blastwo sirens AND air horn when no one was around.

7:22 video stopped at 5:12 and will not progress further.

Did you see them arrive on scene?

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:08 pm

loudmouth wrote: yes becuse its an ambulence and they are trained to use the siren as littel as posible becuse wene they have to carry some one person in the back is more likely to stress out and be more worreyed with the siren going.

Blessed silence! I like no siren when not needed.
I believe ambulance was en route to the patient - both crew members in front.
loudmouth wrote:the truth with lights being hypnotic is the same with sirens thats why they have that yelp and other calls on the siren. that change from a wail to a yelp or phasser or pericer will get peoples attion. and in that video that seems like a more rural town and its not as congested as a city like mine town or this state.
Years ago, to lessen patient apprehension, in place of the siren they were considering having a voice calmly clearly announce, "Emergency vehicle". (Back then it would have been tape - no digitalized recall.)

Yelp, phaser, piercer are gimmicks to sell sirens. (Yelp was originally a CD alert.) Not as effective as Wail, those sounds may panic drivers and the pt.
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whelen Rules

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:23 pm

I have to disagree yelp and phaser really are attention getting, especially at intersections. We were going down the street yesterday and an ambulace come through and he had it in yelp and nobody got confused. Because the people here know what to do when they hear a siren, they yeild. Now phaser,Pierce,Hyperyelp,Priority etc. are attention getting at close range I wouldn't recomend using that as you primary tone, but I personally recognize yelp better than wail. And in todays world there are so many things in your car to drown out sirens, some things in you car will match the pitch of the sirens thus making them have to sound air horns. Now I don't know why fire trucks have 2 sirens. All of our trucks have an electronic and a Q2b and I Don't hear 1 before the other. Its a waste of money to have 2 sirens on 1 unit.
Tyler Lund

Robert Gift

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:47 pm

Interesting Tyler.

Most people hear (detect) Wail sound earlier than Yelp or the others.

When the frequency changes too quickly, as in Yelp, etc., the brain
just does not pick up on it as early as slower but constantly changing Wail.
There is something about a slowly rising or falling pitch that gets our attention! Maybe it's something Primal; our brains are "tuned" to a baby in distress. A baby often begins it's cry more like a wail!

I will hear a Q before an electronic siren.
And you're right. No use having two when one is louder.

Dissapointed in the eQ.

Think it's speaker box does not couple it's mighty 200 watts! to the air as efficiently as CP100. CPs are ugly, and too big to fit behind the grill, buthey are the best speakers.

Does FedSig's eQ grill plate also obstruct too much sound?

If we had one I'd feed it into two CP100s. (Placed one on the other
on the left bumper.)

Sound "hinges". Placed side by side, speakers hinge the sound up and down. Up and down hinges the sound more right and left, which is where you want it.

Mars lights are anotheridiculous complication. Better to just sweep the light right and left.

HEY! Who just lowered my Karma from -17 to -16?
I'll never attain most hated if you keep that up!!

Robert -XVI

q2bman

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:28 pm

Robert, The older sirens used analog and digital components to produce the sound. I.E.: Digital sound production and analog amplification. They actualy had a huge Coil amp inside. Now, everything is digital. All newer sirens are higher pitched for some odd reason. My best guess is production methods. Maybe the insides are causing sirens to only produce higher freqs. My old PA-300 and SVP sirens are lower pitched. They get even lower in pitch when you add more impeadence from another 100 watt speaker. I love the sound of a 200 watt PA300.

I agree, Hyperyelp, Phaser whatever its called is effective. Yelp and Hyperyelp are the same frequency range as wail they just are faster to get attention from close vehicles. Long range warning is best achived by useing wail.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”