tbolt1003man

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:17 am

quiksmith10 wrote:Here is an old ACA ad showing the Sentry 95. Boy does that look like a close match.

oh theres that squarehorn hurricane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StonedChipmunk

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:54 am

dang lot of repeated posts here... and yes that is teh SQUARE HORND HURRICANES LOLZ now back on topic please. And yes, I'd have to say that Sentry 95 looks like the exact same thing...
Last edited by StonedChipmunk on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

quiksmith10

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:28 pm

tbolt1003man wrote:oh theres that squarehorn hurricane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No kidding. Lets get back on topic here about Chris's siren restoration.
Brandon Smith

Blasty

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:21 pm

EDIT BUTTON.
Use it.

I've deleted the duplicate posts. I should delete them all, but oh well.
Beware those who teach not how to think, but what to think.

Daniel

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:19 am

It almost looks like a British knockoff of a Model 2T, except that the 2T didn't exist in 1938. Nevertheless, with a 5/6 ratio and a 7,800 RPM motor, it should sound like a larger Klaxon. Congratulations! Not a bad find for 40 quid.

Jim_Ferer

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:30 am

There's abrasive blasting plastic media designed to be used on aluminum and fiberglass, but there's also interesting blasting technologies using bicarbonate of soda as a blasting medium or dry ice as a blasting medium. These are great because they're not toxic and are less likely to damage your already fragile aluminum. I do not know if Citrasolv, which Adam Smith has used with success on ferrous metals, is good on aluminum.

You should beware of two things: Your siren may have remnants of lead based paint on it, which is toxic, and very likely has asbestos around the windings of the motor or elsewhere. Both are highly regulated in the U.S., and I doubt the UK is more tolerant. Be particularly aware of the paint if you choose abrasive blasting.

chris

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:36 am

Daniel wrote:It almost looks like a British knockoff of a Model 2T, except that the 2T didn't exist in 1938. Nevertheless, with a 5/6 ratio and a 7,800 RPM motor, it should sound like a larger Klaxon. Congratulations! Not a bad find for 40 quid.
I'm pretty pleased with it. It's going to need a new rotor, which will be a challenge, but I'm determined this siren is going to run again. It's a good size for a first restoration too. Big enough to be loud but not so big as to be unwieldy.

It appears to have British fasteners, i.e., BA and Whitworth, so I'm doubtful that it was imported from the US. Does anyone have a higher resolution version of that ACA advert? I'd like to see the Sentry 95 better.

Best wishes,

Chris

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”