Rheems1

hi-lo airhorns

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:08 am

A year or two ago a couple of us got the bright idea to see if we could get ahold of a set of hi-lo airhorns like are used on fire apparatus overseas. Well, we never could get ahold of a set, nor could ANYONE give me an idea of who makes them or how you could buy them or anything else. For in case you don't know what I am talking about (I am used to that by the way.. no one ever knows what I am talking about)... go here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=L_BctPkIVdE and have a listen. I want a set of those on our engine... now who can help me find out how to get a set!!??

Dave

loudmouth

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:20 am

these arnt the best horns in the world
http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm
i think thats as close as your gona get to hi-lo horns
i seen and heard of a nother copany but cant find them
ok heres another one
http://www.airhorns.co.uk/product.asp?p ... LLJDFKJHLD

I owned the wolo hawkeye LED light and its not bad..
I just need a Brighter light and lil bettet built whelen and Fs got some nice LEDs.

Whelen Rules

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:21 am

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but WOLO http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm has a set of hi lo air horns. There is also a sound file. It is around the middle of the page (model 416).
Tyler Lund

StonedChipmunk

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:33 pm

This link:
is the one he is looking for. The Bad Boy is a dual tone horn, not a hi-lo. Big difference.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Daniel

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:27 pm

This link:
is the one he is looking for. The Bad Boy is a dual tone horn, not a hi-lo. Big difference.
This is a different horn from the UK which is significantly more expensive, but still the real thing.

The Wolo site is correct -- just scroll down past the Bad Boy until you see the German emergency vehicles with "police" in English photoshopped onto the car. I have some of these. The Wolo Euro Emergency horns are made in Italy by Fiamm, who seems to make most of the air horns in the world. They will sound close to the horns in the video (was that Singapore?), but will go a little slower. Some models can be switched to a steady tone for use as a normal horn. Also, the Wolo horns sound a major third interval, while the siren in the video is a perfect 4th, as was standard for Germany and many countries at one time. Today, even the venerable British 2nd interval horns are no longer standard, so the Wolo horns could be used in many European countries without sounding out of place. Being a perfectionistic musician, I wanted a perfect 4th interval, so I modified them. The trumpets are metal, and by removing the smaller horn and cutting a little off the small end, the pitch can be raised.

Robert Gift

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:27 pm

Daniel wrote: Being a perfectionistic musician, I wanted a perfect 4th interval, so I modified them. The trumpets are metal, and by removing the smaller horn and cutting a little off the small end, the pitch can be raised.
Daniel,

That is funny - exactly something I wouldo.

But for some reason I like the 2nd interval better.

How much would a hi/lo horn set cost?
Does it require an air compressor?
If so, I wouldn't do it to save weight and additional load on the engine.

I can't remember the interval of our Unitrol 80K - it has been so long since I used it. Probably M3rd.
I'll have to watch the video from the dash-mounted camcorder of an emergentransporto Colorado Springs where I used Hi/Lo in I-25 rushour traffic. Much more pleasant and "polite" than wail. I think drivers, who would otherwise be annoyed, found it interesting.

Jim_Ferer

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:02 am

The horns I heard in Germany (Martinshorns? not sure) sure worked. I was impressed how well they did their job. The incredible law-abiding qualities of the average German motorist and pedestrian played their part, too, but I would defintely like to combine a good siren kept on wail combined with hi-lo horns for the intersections.

It's probably no longer true, but Hi-lo horns used to be as legal as sirens in Virginia. Any emergency vehicle could have used them by themselves.

SCP01

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:25 pm

First post here so hello! :D

I'm in the UK and it just so happens that I have a set or two emergency vehicle two tone air horns. The types that were (and often still are) fitted over here were made in Italy by Fiamm. I have just been out into the workshop and checked the label which reads FIAMM Tipo MC/2FI Serie "2000" V12.
Steve

SCP01

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:43 pm

Ok, I've just been out and shot a short video of a set of the horns I mentioned in action.

You can just about make out the top of the compressor and trace the tubing up the two horn trumpets partially hidden by the non associated relays in front.
Steve

Robert Gift

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Welcome, Steve.

Where in the UK?

I enjoyed my stay in London and Brighton.
Played the little carillon on ? Street in Westminster(?)
but never goto hear any change ringing.
Beer is better, COLD !

Thank you for your photo.
Surprising how little the air pump is.
How much amperage does it draw?
Do pistons pump the air?

Thank you,

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”