Chiz

Want to say hi

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi my name is Paul I'm 18 and from Australia.

I decided to join because I've got an interest in air raid sirens mainly because of the fire alarm at the fire station. A few years ago the actually disconnected the siren and the other siren down at my towns war memorial gates stopped working due to mechanical faliures. They are both federal signals of some sort but I'm not sure. But lately I've been thinking about lobbying to get the fire alarm back in action because our station only uses damned pagers. So I thought I might say something here about our towns sirens. I just remember wanting Thursday night to come because they tested the sirens every Thursday night for practice and had it sound in attack for 4 rounds which meant practice for the fire brigade.

From Chiz.

Daniel

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:45 pm

Welcome, Paul. Good to have another poster from Oz. Good luck in your efforts -- perhaps Mr. Savidge can be of assistance. My home town in California had ten air horns on the police station roof. My father's business was across the street, so I would go outside every Wednesday at 6:00 PM to watch the tourists jump out of their skins when the horns blew their three, ten second blasts for the weekly training session. Everything in the office would vibrate when they were sounding. When the station was remodeled in 1992, they were shut off. They can still be used manually, but are rarely sounded anymore. In 2004, the air raid siren was removed also.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:17 am

First, Welcome Paul! I am always a bit jealous of Australians... You get to buy Toyota Hilux trucks with DIESEL engines, and we haven't been able to get them here since the 80s... Good to have you with us on the board!

Daniel wrote:My home town in California had ten air horns on the police station roof. My father's business was across the street, so I would go outside every Wednesday at 6:00 PM to watch the tourists jump out of their skins when the horns blew their three, ten second blasts for the weekly training session. Everything in the office would vibrate when they were sounding. When the station was remodeled in 1992, they were shut off. They can still be used manually, but are rarely sounded anymore. In 2004, the air raid siren was removed also.
Daniel, What town was that? Just curious...

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Daniel

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:43 pm

Mount Shasta, California. Until 2004, there was a tower above the front of this building containing an Erick Fire Siren and a small fire bell. The bell was remounted in front of the fire station (behind this building) and the siren is supposedly in a city warehouse. There were also two other sets of horns in town, each one having one large and two small horns. Both are gone. Of these remaining horns, only the two large ones are connected (A & B notes).

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:50 am

Thanks for the details... I went over Mt. Shasta only once while on my way to Portland from LA... Didn't know there was a town there, or I'd have stopped with my camera :D

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Chiz

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:18 am

I'm actually going to try and get a photo of the siren on top of my town's fire station roof and also try and get a photo of where the second siren used to be.

Daniel

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:20 pm

kx250rider wrote:Thanks for the details... I went over Mt. Shasta only once while on my way to Portland from LA... Didn't know there was a town there, or I'd have stopped with my camera :D

Charles
Most people don't stop there because they have the highest fuel prices in the state and the businesses are often rude and overpriced, but they've got great scenery. There are, however, about 7,000 people living in and behind all those trees.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”