Robert Gift

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:32 pm

q2bman wrote:cool, nedd to install a large telescopic arm that swings out in front of the EV. Mount a ts 100 on the end and poke it out into intersections. Also mount a banner that says STOP on the pole. Thats should work. :lol:
LOL
Boston has something similar:

The plexiglass /STOP\ sign lighted from the edges mounted on the front of the hood.
What a worthless appurtenance not worth the holes drilled into a good hood to mount it.
(Though I'd like to have one for display.)(Are they still made?)

My four inch round LED stop/tail/turn lamps O mounted in the front fenders are far more effective. On steadily one second, rapidly blink during the one second "OFF" portion.

loudmouth

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:19 pm

Boston ma? I never seen it and i was in there last week.... i be intersted to find were they are.!!

q2bman

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:32 pm

i remember those. They were paired with a siren mounted in the under side of a dual seadled beam rotateing par 46 light. They were red with clear slits (2 of them) locatec in the lexan lense near the top and bottom of the lamp. Weird set-up. Not effective I imagine. And i'm sure they trashed that idea for todays incompitant drivers. :oops:
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:03 am

I may be wrong about Boston.
I was wrong once back in '89. Or was that '68?

I saw one on Cops.

What I saw mounted right in the middle of the hood.

Yes, the edge lights caused STOP etched in the Lexan to glow.
Nice for elevators and indoor signs.
Imagine it was ridiculously ineffective outdoors.

loudmouth

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:02 pm

cool! sounds like those littel taxi signs that some cabs still have. all tho the ones on the cape are horible green with yellow lettering and the bulb is way to brite.

hey do you know what kinda of light bars they used in the blues brother 2000 movie were they seemed to have the siren in the center in a black case and the light bar came out on the left and the right. kinda cool looking to bad they smashed them all up in the crashes.

Undertaker

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:44 pm

The Michigan State Police had some type of sign on the front hood of their cars and the also had a single beacon with those clear stripes mounted in the center of the roof. I have not been back since the late 90's 98/99 but they were using that setup then.
They were red with clear slits (2 of them) locatec in the lexan lense near the top and bottom of the lamp
The Marrs Co. had a light once that had grooves on the inside of the dome where you could insert colored strips and make the light whatever color you wanted it to be. It was interestingly different but effective by allowing white light to shine through small cracks between the inserts. The city of Chicago used those type lights on their squadcars which happened to be American Motors Ambassedors. This was back in the late 70's.

Getting back to the original topic, can someone post a soundclip of just the siren in question the X-Ecutor. I cannot tell if it winds up with a low tone or not but starting out with the bottom end coasting, it sounds good. I would have been tickled to roll through town just tapping is for a slow charge up. Of course I also liked to break glass with a siren. A model 28 or a Q mounted just behind the grill of your combination was sextremely effective and still would be today.

Nelso90

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Undertaker wrote:...sextremely effective...
Wow! That must mean it's really effective! :P

Jim_Ferer

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:59 am

Unitrol beacons had 6" sealed beams (larger) and typically two horizontal clear stripes near the top and bottom of the lamps. They advertised that the stripes gave the "reach" of a white light while maintaining the identification power of the color. You could order them with 200,000 cp aircraft landing lights if you chose. Wonder how people's batteries held up. The lights were available with two lamps or four.

I'd be surprised if there are any in service today. It's been a while. I'm not aware of anything that uses sealed beams anymore.

I saw those Mars lights in catalogs, but I never saw one for real. Our fire apparatus always had the Mars oscillating light, though. I worked on an ambulance with the Unitrol lights.

zetronist

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:18 am

Undertaker wrote:The Michigan State Police had some type of sign on the front hood of their cars and the also had a single beacon with those clear stripes mounted in the center of the roof. I have not been back since the late 90's 98/99 but they were using that setup then.
I remember those signs. I believe they said "STOP Michigan State Police". I think they lit up, too. They were clear plexiglass signs with red lettering that were normally stowed on the hood parallel with the body of the car. When they activated them they would go perpendicular to the body so that the driver could see them in the rear view mirror.

I'm not sure how they were activated-- whether it was some kind of solenoid or if they did it manually with a cable somehow. I was always intrigued by these signs. To my knowledge, no other police vehicles had them.

As far as the Mars lights went, I saw a few of them over the years.

Prior to the proliferation of lightbars, Mars came out with the "Borealis" light that was an oblong light with multiple rotators and lenses in it. It was made famous by the Chicago Fire Department by Commissioner Quinn back in the 1960's about the same time that Quinn made the "Snorkel" famous.

Robert Gift

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:33 am

Uh-oh!
I started something which has hijacked this forum.

Anyone want to continue this under "Edge-lighted patrol car hood sign" in General Non Siren Discussion?

Thanks

Robert the -LX

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”