kagome122885

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:17 am

You have to be careful. As in the case of an electric fan, don't stick you fingers or hands in the siren! :lol:
Federal Signal Thunderbolt Series, still the King of Air Raid Sirens!

Robert Gift

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:00 pm

I spun our 2t22 using a garden hose straight stream against the lower rotor.
She growled a steady minor third - probably the first time she has spoken since the mid eighties.

pyramid head

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:20 pm

By "our" do you mean that a place you work for has one off the pole? Or that you have one? I don't think a garden hose's pressure would reach the top of a 45' pole. If it is at this place you go to, have you asked them if you could bring it home?
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

hobbeekid

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 pm

Robert Gift wrote:I spun our 2t22 using a garden hose straight stream against the lower rotor.
She growled a steady minor third - probably the first time she has spoken since the mid eighties.

You guys haven't brought that thing on line yet?! what's the holdup? last I heard was that you were going to run power from some pump house. have you? have you & your colleauges found a suitable mounting location for it yet?hose tower? pole? do you need controls? what's keeping it from running? :?

Robert Gift

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:31 pm

hobbeekid wrote:You guys haven't brought that thing on line yet?! what's the holdup?
No. Can't decide where it will be located.
I was considering cutting it's former 45' pole at ground level and planting the pole at the fire station.
Now, they are planning to expand the fire station. So, it may go on top of the station --IF we can have a hose tower. That hasn't been decided.
(Glad it was not already installed because it would have been in the way of the station expansion.)
hobbeekid wrote:last I heard was that you were going to run power from some pump house. have you?
No. I learned the sewage plant will be taken out sometime this year. So now there we be no three-phase meter.
The power pole from which we will have to obtain three-phase is 300 feet away.
So, I'll have to dig a lot of trench to bury the line.

But, we haven't even tested the siren to see if it woiks!
I want to take it over to the sewage plant meter and hook it up.
hobbeekid wrote:do you need controls?
Would be nice, but I will likely make our own.
For now, I'd like to have just a three-ganged switch and sound it manually timed to a clock with a sweep second hand.
hobbeekid wrote:what's keeping it from running? :?
All the variables above are frustrating getting anything done.
I'm going nuts!
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Gift

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:55 pm

pyramid head wrote:By "our" do you mean that a place you work for has one off the pole? Or that you have one? I don't think a garden hose's pressure would reach the top of a 45' pole. If it is at this place you go to, have you asked them if you could bring it home?
I got the abandoned 2t22A from her pole at the former Lowry Air Force Base in east Denver, which was closed in the mid 80s.

The control box had been scrapped along with all wires leading to all the nearby barracks.
The only reason "Tootie" remained was because no one could reach her.
I'm surprised they just didn't cut the pole and topple her.

My boss at High Climbers Tree service kindly used his bucket truck to allow me to remove the 22 cones weighing 110 lbs to reduce weight.
Then we used the 300 lb capacity bucket to nervously carefully lift it off the pole.

On the ground at my volunteer fire station, using a garden hose with straight nozzle stream right next to a lower stator opening, I got her to moan.
Not loud because they have low water pressure. But could hear her minor third sound.
Would like to have tried the high pressure hose reel.
(Told the chief that if we have a power outage, we could sound Tootie pumping high pressure into a standpipe aimed at her lower rotor.)

Daniel

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:31 pm

Robert Gift wrote: The only reason "Tootie" remained was because no one could reach her.
Is "siren" a feminine noun like "ship?" Makes sense, because they have large power requirements, like to be placed on a pedestal, and are always screaming about something.

Just kidding, Robert! I'm not really a misogynist -- I like them single or dual-tone.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Robert Gift

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:35 am

My back is sore - I need a mysogynist.
Yes, the sirens of lore were female.
I love the dual-toned. But I can't yet identify the intervals as they coast. And the resultants are fascinating.

Question: What is the name of the hypopotamus I gave to my wife?
Clue: Name is within what he is.

Daniel

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Robert Gift wrote:My back is sore - I need a mysogynist.
Yes, the sirens of lore were female.
True, except the ancient dwellers of pre-prison Alcatraz Island, which were called Thyrens.
Robert Gift wrote:Question: What is the name of the hypopotamus I gave to my wife?
Clue: Name is within what he is.
This one I don't know. Either you gave her a river horse or some pot.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

pyramid head

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:13 pm

Yeah, i'm not so sure about that one. Although i never think of siren's having a gender, they would have to be female! I named my truck charleston, as in the male version of christine. :) How does a siren cut you? Is it from being pinched between the rotor and stator?
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”