Jpressman8

Thu May 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Crazywarriorman wrote:I'm not a Federal lover or a ASC hater but, hasn't this gone on long enough? You guys seem to be making a useless farce out of this. You guys will say Federal signal is crap, talk about how poorly built their sirens are, but then turn around and say stuff like "The thunderbolt siren is the best ever built." If Hamilton county goes with Federal, so be it.
I can't believe you would compare a Thunderbolt to a 2001. There is about 45 years between the 2. You may not live here in Hamilton County or care one way or the other ,but I live here I take offense to you saying that we are making a useless farce out of this. I guess all the letter writing and contacting media was waste of time right? :evil:
five liter V8

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Fri May 14, 2010 12:13 am

Jpressman8 wrote:
Crazywarriorman wrote:I'm not a Federal lover or a ASC hater but, hasn't this gone on long enough? You guys seem to be making a useless farce out of this. You guys will say Federal signal is crap, talk about how poorly built their sirens are, but then turn around and say stuff like "The thunderbolt siren is the best ever built." If Hamilton county goes with Federal, so be it.
I can't believe you would compare a Thunderbolt to a 2001. There is about 45 years between the 2. You may not live here in Hamilton County or care one way or the other ,but I live here I take offense to you saying that we are making a useless farce out of this. I guess all the letter writing and contacting media was waste of time right? :evil:
Well first, they were both made by the same company so there is no reason why I can't compare them. I never ment to offend anyone at all, but what I'm seeing is you guys complaining over the sound/tone of the siren. And either way, I've seen plenty of people from Hamilton county who view the siren system from any company as a waste of money.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri May 14, 2010 12:29 am

Comparing a Thunderbolt to a 2001 is like comparing a Kenworth to a Chevy S-10. It just doesn't make sense.

Back in the day Federal made some of the best and most enduring sirens. But that was BACK in the day. Profits are an even larger driving force nowadays, and a lack of standards on warning systems means that companies will produce inferior products. It all comes down to money (always has) but the lack of common sense allows companies like ATI to stay in business and the 2001 to remain in production as is.

Jpressman8

Fri May 14, 2010 12:44 am

Crazywarriorman wrote:
Jpressman8 wrote:
Well first, they were both made by the same company so there is no reason why I can't compare them. I never ment to offend anyone at all, but what I'm seeing is you guys complaining over the sound/tone of the siren. And either way, I've seen plenty of people from Hamilton county who view the siren system from any company as a waste of money.
And they are the first ones to complain when a storm hits and does damage. You should know that. So basically you're telling me i'm wasting my time right?Bottom line a lower frequency carries farther. You should also know that the county has already spent 3 times what they are going to spend on these sirens for a reverse 911 system that does not work very well, and is going to cost a 250 to 500K a year to keep upgraded. You tell me which one is a waste of money.
five liter V8

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri May 14, 2010 1:58 am

Warning sirens are a lot like emergency lights:

The general public doesn't care about them until you need them. And if they don't work then they REALLY start to care.

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Fri May 14, 2010 2:13 am

Well maybe that's how it works in other places, but where I live it really isn't that big of a deal.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

Jpressman8

Fri May 14, 2010 3:49 am

Crazywarriorman wrote:Well maybe that's how it works in other places, but where I live it really isn't that big of a deal.
No one one said you could'nt compare them. It's just that there is no comparison to make. The Tbolt reigned for many years and they quit making it. I'm well aware that the 2001 and Tbolt are made by the same company duh. That's like comparing a little prop plane and an F-18 super Hornet. Just not seeing the point you're trying to make.
five liter V8

Justin

Fri May 14, 2010 6:51 am

Jim_Ferer wrote:But if the requirement isn't there, move for a summary judgment against Federal and sanctions for perpetrating a fraud on the Court.
It would begin to look pretty dodgy pretty quickly when the court takes into account the other bidding processes that failed, especially when Federal conveniently dropped the ANSI testing and remained the higher bidder of many...

Federal would have to be a flipping fence post to chase this to the last tooth and nail.

Jim_Ferer

Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 am

Justin wrote:
Jim_Ferer wrote:But if the requirement isn't there, move for a summary judgment against Federal and sanctions for perpetrating a fraud on the Court.
It would begin to look pretty dodgy pretty quickly when the court takes into account the other bidding processes that failed, especially when Federal conveniently dropped the ANSI testing and remained the higher bidder of many...

Federal would have to be a flipping fence post to chase this to the last tooth and nail.
The court would not be able to consider the whole sad history of the process, just whether this one bid was defective. I hope it's not, because the county needs to move forward and get the system installed.

The relative technical merits of one system over another don't count either. Unless the standards change or the specifications change, for the purposes of the bid the contenders either comply or they don't. The county government, the EMA, or the citizens are none of them siren enthusiasts. They simply will not look at this the way we do.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Fri May 14, 2010 6:38 pm

I hope this doesn't go to court. This entire process has taken way longer than it should have. Considering that we're supposed to have 30 sirens delivered by the 24th, which is a week and a half away, I think it's a bit too late to continue fighting this. Why didn't they hire a lawyer right after the bid was accepted if they're so concerned with the legalities?

What exactly would happen if this bid does get thrown out though? Would the county be forced to accept Federal or would there be another bid?
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”