jerrylovessirens

Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:46 pm

Oops, I thought you were that one guy from Sheboygan County.

jmev

Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:05 am

It would be a new radio decoder system- this is typical of a grey box with antenna. It may also contain new controls.

As for different sound...it could possibly be a different tone added for storm, CD or some other reason. If new controls were added, they may have the timing of one or more events off.

As for calling the company that did it, like most compaines (including mine), would probably tell you that it has nothing to do with you since it's not your siren.

Robert Gift

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:39 am

Welcome Mev.

How can you change the sound of an electromechanical siren,(Thunderbolt) other than shutting off something early or dividing voltage?
Are there new controls which still operate (check) all systems but limit sound output for tests?

I would still call and ask.
I have never encountered anyone unwilling to answer my friendly intelligent questions.

Thank you,

jmev

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm

That's not the point. Why call? What will it accomplish? It is their job to maintain the siren- not someone in the public. Who cares why it sounds different anyway? Like I said, if you called my business after I repaired a siren and questioned me about it without proving you have something to do with the siren, you'd get hung up on quickly. I can't understand why someone would worry about this so much.

That's like if your town repainted their water tank a different color and you were just SOOOOO concerned about it. Who would care anyway? Why is it your business? It's not yours.

Besides, I can name 20 things that will change the sound.
I can assure you they did nothing with voltage dividing, speed control or air valve control.

Need a siren pic?
http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/sirenarchive.htm

q2bman

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:36 am

COME ON MAN!

Repainting the wall is completely different than repairing a warning siren. What if a wire was pulled loose or some insilation was rubbed bare and the siren is at risk of burning a wire on one phase, blowing a breaker or burning up a contactor. The siren wouldn't come on or wouldn't operate very long in a warning. Someone could get killed. People can make mistakes. And it's my opinion that other people hearing a problem is what brings people to the siren for repair in the first place. Your going to talk yourself out of a business. Besides, would it not be much cheaper, easier and safer to find the problem before it gets to be a burnout, destroyed pannel, or accidental death. So what if you find that it's just a happenstance. Tell me where it is, I'd love to go fix it!
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:21 am

jmev wrote:... if you called my business after I repaired a siren and questioned me about it without proving you have something to do with the siren, you'd get hung up on quickly. I can't understand why someone would worry about this so much.

No one is worried.
Inquiring minds want to know!
As a former student engineer in aerospace, I am curious.
jmev wrote:That's like if your town repainted their water tank a different color and you were just SOOOOO concerned about it. Who would care anyway? Why is it your business? It's not yours.

If I were a taxpayer it would be my business. Especially if they broke with tradition and changed the color without public input.
(As a taxpayer, I am confronting my city about purchasing obscenely expensive amber LED lightbars when inexpensive rotating beacons are better!)
jmev wrote:Besides, I can name 20 things that will change the sound.

If not intentional air restriction and/or slower chopper RPM, what else could it be unless a flaw or failure?

Is this a new method of checking all systems without disturbing the peace as much?
As a citizen, I would like that.
As a 2t22 owner, I prefer hearing every siren full bore.

Thanks for that fantastic web site.
JMarcoz needs to learn definitions of rotor and stator.
I e-mailed them a friendly correction many weeks ago.

For being no one else's business, they sure submitted a nice report to the public about repairing a sick-sounding SD-10.

Conky 2000

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:00 pm

Let's not get personal now....
Mayube there was something wrong with the rotor and they replaced it.
If your siren is a-failin'
Chances are that it's a Whelen
And if it's just about to die
Then it must be an ATI

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Personal?

Q and I are just curious why Freak reports there is a noticeable difference.

If there are 20 possibilities, I would be interested in knowing them.
(Like a malfunctioning Viking Lander instrument. We figured there could be 106 possibilities.)(They offered to send me to Mars to fix it!)

If not intentional, it must be a problem, misadjustment, incorrect connection, tool left in the rotor!, etc.

Or maybe it is an innovative, less intrusive, siren test method.
That would be neat!

RedAlpha

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:46 pm

jerrylovessirens wrote:Oops, I thought you were that one guy from Sheboygan County.
That would be me :wink:

Anyway... that thunderbolt problem seems odd.

cdvtripleseven

Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:44 pm

Anyway... that thunderbolt problem seems odd.
I'm still trying to figure out from this thread what the "problem" is.
I never got an answer to my post with the question as to what "sounds weak" means.
It's was probably just growl tested.
Dad, what does that CD mean on that big yellow horn? Well son, I believe it stands for Cyclone Device......

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”