Mathew Bailey

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:34 am

If you're looking for used bout good condition Wisconsin engine parts for that siren,try looking or asking for Gorman-Rupp pumps that use that brand of engine.

pyramid head

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:34 am

Ha, I have an old Gorman Rupp pump I got from my FD. Aside from that, I would love to restore a gas powered siren one day just because you would be able to set it off anywhere on the back of a truck. Sure you can do that with a smaller siren and a generator, but it isn't the same.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

jerrylovessirens

It FRICKEN RUNS!!!

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Here is an update from Joseph
: A very happy one at that!!

Just thought I'd let you know what's goin on. Got all the ignition stuff done , had spark---- with a positive ground , same as old farm tractors, go figure, never assume, then started on the fuel system--only to find that the fuel pump didn't work. So I made a call to Wisconsin Lift Truck where I actually picked up a manual (reprinted of course) for the VF4 motor and they said the fuel pump is still available new but the carb rebuild kit I'd have to bring in the carb so they could get numbers off. Well it's a Stromberg Carb which they haven't had parts for in 30 years---- instant depression!!!! Well- - - he said he could set me up with a Zenith replacement carb for about 500.00 at this point I'm ready to scrap the whole thing!!!! Went home and poured 1/2 gas and 1/2 Sta-Bil into the pump that night. The next morning I spun it over again and it spit fuel everywhere ! So then I thought of a place in Milwaukee that I used to go to for Briggs parts all the time and they always had old Wisconsin Motors on display there. I didn't even know if they were still there but I took a chance and went down there . Sho-Nuf , it was still there, so I went in and the same old motors were still there as I remembered them . The old man is now 78 years old and his son who is my age still run the place and the owner worked at Wisconsin Motors long ago . They also had bought out a warehouse of parts some years ago and had boxes of carb kits that they didn't know the application for. He went upstairs and came down with 2 boxes , old and 1 was opened and missing parts but they were the correct rebuild kit for the Stromberg!!! I bought them both and felt like the guys on the TV Show American Pickers!!! Ran my but home and proceded rebuilding the carb , got that done last night , bolted her up , primed the bowl with gas , set the choke and hit the button ---- 4 or 5 cranks later she fired --- my wife came running out - said she heard it in the house with all the windows closed!!! No kidding , I only ran it for about 3 seconds because I spun it on 12 volts off the charger, need a 6 volt battery next and will proceed from there. I also think I'd better wear my ear protectors next time , I still hear ringing the next day . Call me when you get time set something up for Justin and you to come down. Talk to you later, JOE

500 AT fan

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Nice to know it runs. I'll have to go down ther sometime. Would be fun to see the Mobil Directo in person.

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 am

Try NAPA for 6 volt starting batteries. Both Danny who owns the Chrysler at the American Military Museum and my neighbor up the street who has a 1928 Model A found 6 volt batteries there.
"Calling Out To All"

jerrylovessirens

Another update

Mon May 10, 2010 1:28 am

Hey all

I went by Joseph's today to see what progres he has been making, and quite frankly, the mobil directo is in pieces, ready to media blast and paint. The Wisconsin is stripped down to a short block, and will be cleaned and degreased also.

Instead of taking the distributor to the rebuilders, Joeseph was able to go to the local Napa and get The points, cap, and rotor off the shelf. He also was able to get a new coil

We got the turntable rollers diassembled, with a little bit of help from some Liquid Wrench and heat. The rollers are simply pulleys with big 1/4in thick needle bearings. Quite interesting.

The centrifugal clutch looks likes new, and works perfectly.

We also discoverd the rotator transmission is a TWO SPEED!!! No Joke, there is a Hi or Low setting, with a neutral in the middle of the two selections.

The engine is also a Positive ground. We thought it was a typical Negative ground the whole time.

Joeseph wants to paint the MD the color red that is used on Lincoln brand welders. It is a slightly tinted red.

Like this

The siren was originally a Red Oxide Which is darn close to the DARK RED font color

We eill most likely use Rustoleum Alklyd Enamel.

500 AT fan

Mon May 10, 2010 1:45 am

That will be a great colour.

Will he paint the engine/rotator gray, like in the advertisment?

jerrylovessirens

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:06 am

Called up Joseph to see how its coming along.

He has the rotator turntable all painted and reassembled (all gloss black)

He has also painted the naked long-block V4 engine grey, and placed it on the turntable mounting plate to start the "building up" process.

WHat was interesting is that when we initially checked the oil, it seemed to be perfectly amber-colored and pristine.

Well, Joe took off the oil pan to find a thick cake of sludge on the bottom, I guess all the solids in the oil fell to the bottom. Good thing he decided to strip the pan off and check out the insides. Needless to say, he scooped and cleaned out the nasty monster goo, and topped off the crank case with fresh oil.

He found Massey Ferguson red tractor Alkyd enamel is very close to Lincoln red. This is the color he will be painting the siren.

Mantis

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:42 am

Picture or it didn't happen :P

Sounds like it's going great!

jerrylovessirens

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Mantis wrote:Picture or it didn't happen :P

Sounds like it's going great!
Patience! Next time I go down there, I will grab pics

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”