ginbot86

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:52 am

jerrylovessirens wrote:We see the thing so special about getting it running is that if we do, it will be the only known Gasoline Mobil Directo in the world to be operational.
Not to mention it's a single-tone model. How rare are they?
--Jason G.
Proud owner of 4 small sirens

TBOLT1000

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 am

the single tone 8-port model is rarer than the 10/12 port model as the gas mobil-directos only came in 8-port and there are only about less than 5 left in the world, maybe more that I don`t know of.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A, Model LV, and a Model J.

500 AT fan

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 am

The only gas ones I know of were Rome fire department in Wisconsin (gone), Culver City, CA (out of use), Yorktown (they said they were going to restore it, no updates for over a year), and Memphis, TN (converted to electric engine, still 8 port). There were also 11 in Milwaukee, as the newpaper article states, but all of them were replaced.

Archon

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 am

TBOLT1000 wrote:the single tone 8-port model is rarer than the 10/12 port model as the gas mobil-directos only came in 8-port and there are only about less than 5 left in the world, maybe more that I don`t know of.

The 8 port was more common before 1953

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:31 am

All I can say is WOW, you did great! That siren probably came so close to getting crushed and scrapped that it's a miracle it's in your hands now!

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Archon

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:59 am

wonder If it came off of the Grede foundry building

jerrylovessirens

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

Archon wrote:wonder If it came off of the Grede foundry building
Im curious to as why you guess that Joe? The building Josephhad torn down was almost 6-7 year ago, when was the Grede foundry demolished?

______

Biersach has given us the following tidbits of info-

The rotor and and crankshaft are connected via a centrifugal clutch. The rotor will not spin at low engine RPM's One must check to see that it spin freely before operating ( my guess is to limit stress on the driveshafts)

Care must be taken to not have rotor speed exceed 4000 RPM, as the rotor could possibly explode if that number is exceeded. ( MY guess is that at 4000 RPM, the valves would probably start to float on the V4, I have a hard time a believing a big honkin flathead engine like it would easily rev up that high.

Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 am

My goodness a actual Petrol powered Mobil Directo :shock: . This is a very unique siren to see. If it does get restored, it looks like it would need is a new projector made to go ontop the cover around the rotor and the stator and covers for the box above the motor, unless it still has them.

jerrylovessirens

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Captain Dynamite wrote:My goodness a actual Petrol powered Mobil Directo :shock: . This is a very unique siren to see. If it does get restored, it looks like it would need is a new projector made to go ontop the cover around the rotor and the stator and covers for the box above the motor, unless it still has them.
Nope, it was missing when he removed it. It seems like it happens to ALOT of the Mobil Directos. I can see why, as, the base of the output elbow is not reinforced to take the strain of the bolts that fasten the assembly onto the "sound donut". Especially after aging and being in the elements, all the bolt holes on the rear half of the elbow have pulled right off.

Joseph and I figure we could either A: Have a metal fabricator make a new projector horn; or B: Buy a fibreglass Allertor projector off of WSS or another source.

HOWEVER, we are not worrying about any cosmetics until we can get this beast rocking and rolling. All the cosmetic work would be in veign if we could not get the Wisconsin running.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:48 pm

500 AT fan wrote:The only gas ones I know of were Rome fire department in Wisconsin (gone), Culver City, CA (out of use), Yorktown (they said they were going to restore it, no updates for over a year), and Memphis, TN (converted to electric engine, still 8 port). There were also 11 in Milwaukee, as the newpaper article states, but all of them were replaced.
I wonder if that one on the Veterans' Memorial building is the only gas one in Culver City? The two I've personally looked at, located elsewhere in Culver City are electric. One of the other Siren Board members was in pursuit of getting that gas one, but I don't know where he stands on it now. If he isn't still after it, I might pick up the chase. I don't want it to go away like the gas Thunderbolt from San Dimas, CA did this past January :shock:

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”