TBOLT1000

Anybody heard of this company?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:41 pm

I never heard of this siren company but they seem to make some very interesting sirens.

http://www.laws-systems.com/

Has anybody ever seen a siren from this company before?
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1000A, Model LV, and a Model J.

500 AT fan

Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Never heard of that company before. The siren looks like an electronic Eclipse-8.

E712

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 pm

That is an interesting idea having the Red/Amber lights to give a visual warning along with the audible warning.

Daniel

Sat May 01, 2010 12:14 am

E712 wrote:That is an interesting idea having the Red/Amber lights to give a visual warning along with the audible warning.
Red with white, blue, or green would be more effective, since amber LED's can appear close to red from a distance.

It seems like a good idea, but voice-capable siren systems are difficult enough to understand when the messages are spoken slowly and clearly. Repeating a fast-spoken NOAA broadcast over such speakers would sound like gibberish from more than a couple hundred feet away.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Sat May 01, 2010 12:32 am

Definably not good to be used as actual sirens, but would be great at a park to alert park visitors to bad weather conditions, esp. Severe T-Storms, where sirens are usually not sounded. The bad part, is if there is a Tornado Warning and a regular siren is nearby, that could make Noaa weather radio really hard to understand, however, if I were at the park and heard both at the same time, that would tell me to boogie home!

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat May 01, 2010 12:59 am

Pretty interesting. This is a good idea for a self contained siren for small areas which requires no activation (other than NOAA). I'm surprised nobody has thought of this before. However, rebroadcasting the actual message is a terrible idea is it's going to sound like gibberish. A better alert tone followed by a preprogrammed recording would be a better idea. Not sure how loud the unit is, but scalability and battery backup should also be considered.

Justin

Sat May 01, 2010 11:29 am

I think it would be more confusion than anything, especially if these replace tornado sirens. They should sound alert/attack instead of a single wave file along with text-to-speech. At least alert/attack gets the message across pretty quickly.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Sat May 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Rebroadcasting the weather radio message might confuse people, especially since they've now switched to a computerized voice instead of an actual recorded voice (the one around here seems to have problems pronouncing things right). Also, just because the weather radio is activated doesn't necessarily mean it applies to you - for instance, our weather radio went off at about 5:30 this morning for a severe thunderstorm warning in northern Hamilton County, even though we live in the southern half of the county).
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sat May 01, 2010 4:57 pm

I like how they use my home town of Lewisville for the T-storm warning demo part of the video :D
-The Princess

Rheems1

Mon May 03, 2010 4:45 pm

I don't think they are meant to replace tornado sirens, I think they are more for smaller areas for local area announcement (such as a PA system).. this would be good for parks and golf courses and such but not as a stand alone alerting system. I kind of like it, it is a good idea and should serve for local area notifications very well.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”