hobbeekid

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:42 am

Why not power ALL wheels?

Seems that if some load is on unpowered wheels, that allows more slip because less weight on powered wheels.
Robert,

It really has nothing to do with load. The e units were primarily designed for speed and maintaining passenger scheduals I believe the center axle had somthing to do with keeping the truck from "hunting" or trying to climb out of the rail at high speed.The e units were not freight units & were not geared for low speed high tonnage drags.That kind of abuse would burn up their traction motors. By the way has anyone tried to google earth the spot where that tbolt & building stood?

hobbeekid

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:51 am

That is still just over half of what the modern passenger-locomotives put out.
Two engines? So far, I thought that EMD only has done that with their DD series
The emd e series utilized technology from the late fourties early fifties so their power output would be understandably less. They were'nt the first double engined diesels either.I think there was a double engined box cab diesel from the thirties..........

hobbeekid

That is still just over half of what the modern passenger-locomotives put out.
Two engines? So far, I thought that EMD only has done that with their DD series
The emd e series utilized technology from the late fourties early fifties so their power output would be understandably less. They were'nt the first double engined diesels either.I think there was a double engined box cab diesel from the thirties..........

hobbeekid

Why not power ALL wheels?

Seems that if some load is on unpowered wheels, that allows more slip because less weight on powered wheels.
Robert,

It really has nothing to do with load. The e units were primarily designed for speed and maintaining passenger scheduals I believe the center axle had somthing to do with keeping the truck from "hunting" or trying to climb out of the rail at high speed.The e units were not freight units & were not geared for low speed high tonnage drags.That kind of abuse would burn up their traction motors. By the way has anyone tried to google earth the spot where that tbolt & building stood?

Robert Gift

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:21 pm

Oh.

Thanks for the education, Hobee.

I can see how that would be especially important at high speed
and now understand that traction wasn't the entire goal.

But did they need 4 engines for just six cars, or is that just what happens to be coupled on that train?

In 1959? my father took me on a business trip from Pittsburgh to St. Louis.
In some big city we waited for a for connecting train which I think crossed our track at 90 degrees.
I recall learning that it was late because it could not get up a hill.
It apparently had to back up and take another attempt at the grade.
Is this true, or merely the imagination of an 8 year old?

Can you delete your duplicate posts by edit? Would that work?

I thought of looking on Google Earth, but don't know where that yard is.
Google Earth is amazing.
Can even see our 2t22 siren on her perch at east side of former Lowry Air Force base in east Denver!
Can more readily see the long winter shadow cast by her 45' pole.

hobbeekid

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:27 am

Sorry about the duplicate posts, I was half asleep when I posted last night.perhaps one of the mods can clean my mistakes up? thanks.

I also think that train in the pic was pretty long.It was taken twice as it passed by I imagine 15 to 20 cars calling for that kind of power.I think this is the last I'm going to say about the train cause the thread is going off topic. Ya know, :)

Shinkansen

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:50 am

AlarmRepair wrote:I got lost on this topic at first.... Who is seeing SD70m's?? Those are E8's EMD's, I think they are 1,200 HP each... Nice photo's.. That could be the "City of New Orleans" train in the 1950's.. Famous train!
It is the City Of New Orleans, my 2nd favorite train. My ultimate fav is the California Zephyr. Those beautiful stainless steel BUDD Cars and EMD E5 A and B units.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

Mathew Bailey

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:26 am

I'm wondering if the T-bolt's controls are in the penthouse/elevator machinery room.

Robert Gift

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:01 pm

I'd put all controls right inside that elevator room and the entire unit on that room's roof.
But suppose it would be quite difficult to get the heavy blower on that roof.
So we see all the quy wires supporting the long pipe extending above the roof line.

It's much cheaper to run telephone circuit up to that room
than to run large gauge wire from a more distant controller.

We are having to figure how to run a control circuit and power wires to our brand new used 2t22.
Building codes require both meters and shut-offs to be side by side.
That means we must run three-phase to the other side of the building
unless we run the three-phase just to the 2t22's pole, which means more expensive exterior control boxes on the pole.

SirenMadness

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:58 pm

Well, well, well.

~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”