hobbeekid

2t22 in Southern Cali

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:59 am

I'm trying to get a count of just how many 2t22/3t22's were or are still located out in California.I remember reference being made to one at chaffey collage in southern California.Could anyone in the southland possibly investigate & possibly get a photo?I have a photo of what I remember to be a 3t22 I spotted around Shasta in far northern Cali off interstate 5 on the way to portland around 2002.I took a photo of it on the return trip but have'nt developed as of yet.I'm just curious about any other surviving 2t22/3t22's in the state.besides the two I just mentioned.It's kind of a regional question.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 am

Here is a thread that I posted in the summer showing one on the California side of Lake Topaz... There was another 3T22 in one of the small towns south of there off Hwy 395 that I saw on my way up, but couldn't find it to photo on the way back...

http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=470

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Hacksaw

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:25 am

Calistoga has one last I heard. So did Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga.

hobbeekid

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:03 am

So that makes four known total out here in the land of sd10's,500at's,model 5's,allertors sth's stl's some tbolt's and well you get the picture.kind of a rare siren for this area......

hobbeekid

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:04 am

So that makes four known total out here in the land of sd10's,500at's,model 5's,allertors sth's stl's some tbolt's and well you get the picture.kind of a rare siren for this area......

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:21 am

I've seen the 2T22 at Chaffey before; it's located near the Cafeteria and Library building. The whole thing sits on a very short pole near a slope; you could be on a path 35 feet away and be level with the lower row of horns.

I haven't been to Chaffey for a while (I'm a Mt San Antonio College student currently) but some of my friends who attend say they still see it whenever they pass. I'll have to plan a trip out there for a snapshot when I have time but currently, I'm siren hunting in West Covina near my school.

Speaking of sirens in So. Cal, I just remember a picture I took of a siren while the youth group at my church was staying with some people we knew in a community called Pine Mountain just north of Kx250rider's location. It's located on top of a fire station and probably was used for calling volunteer fire fighters. One person I spoke to who saw me looking at it told me "oh, that's an old alarm we used to use for fire calls but we don't use it anymore."

I know of another mountain community (Wrightwood) with sirens at their fire stations but I didn't get a picture the last time I was there. As soon as it snows, I'll get a picture when I go snowboarding at the nearby Mountain High resort.

hobbeekid

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:57 am

I plan on developing that picture of that 3t22 I took north of reading & posting it here soon.I'd love to see a pic of that chaffey collage 2t22 whenever you get a chance to take it. Does anyone know if it's still in service?

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:19 am

I don't think they really use the 2T22 at Chaffey and it appears to be a little rusty but the last time I was there, I looked at the base of the pole and there were wires running up to it (junction box missing cover)

Other than the wires running up the pole, I didn't see any control box to it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”