asleepz

Looking for small projects

Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:45 am

Hey all, I'm just getting into sirens and horns and I was wondering what kind of small projects could I go about doing? Any suggestions on models I could afford (mind you I'm a 17 yr. old senior in high school)?

Just really wanted to introduce myself to the crowd.

Thanks!

Shinkansen

Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:51 am

Welcome to the board. As for some small stuff, buying a actual siren, I'd say any Truck Horn with nothing else (if you have a compressor/air tank), or something like a Federal Signal PA300 off of Ebay.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

asleepz

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:01 am

I've got one of those portable air tanks from the auto parts store (5 gallon) and I have a small porter cable compressor to fill it up.

I believe I'm going to drift more of the way of sirens though. Having a fire truck or just plain large horn in my truck sure would be nice though. I've got a 2006 Chevy truck with the V6. More under the hood room than I've ever seen in a car.

ronatello

Re: Looking for small projects

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:15 am

asleepz wrote:Hey all, I'm just getting into sirens and horns and I was wondering what kind of small projects could I go about doing? Any suggestions on models I could afford (mind you I'm a 17 yr. old senior in high school)?

Just really wanted to introduce myself to the crowd.

Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the board. What I'm proposing wouldn't be a small project per se but it would be interesting to do anyways...

Make a small and crude disc siren . The rotor would be a flat, smooth piece of material w/ a few evenly spaced holes; make a stator w/ just one hole that lines up with the holes on the disc rotor. Find some blown air, like from an exhaust port from a vacuum, or electric leaf blower. Attach a horn to the hole on the stator and a motor to the rotor.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”