Elliott

Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:59 pm

AlarmRepair wrote: I need to find someone still alive that personally was involved with Civil Defense siren installations or purchasing in the 1950's or 60's. i am curious if matching funds just sent agencies sirens like the T bolt , 5T's or SD10's from what was available at the time or did departments and CD offices have a choice?
Try to private message Clayton at WERDENSIREN; his dad set up the Hamilton County Ohio system, or at least got it started to my knowledge. He probably knows.
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

AllSafe

Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:28 am

Sentry makes air horns as well...they call them "air sirens"...i wonder why I almost never hear of them.

StonedChipmunk

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:16 pm

I'm not sure about my vote...

Federal Signal
- Thunderbolt
- xT22

American Signal
- Hurricane (ACA branded)
- Tempest series

Whelen
- Nothing, they suck.

Sentry
- Entire line, but only partially

Decot
- Some siren I saw in a vid before that had this awesome Maj 3rd tone, more musical than commanding

Chrysler
- The king of all sirens.

Suprisingly, Federal Signal is tripping in terms of air raid sirens (they sell everything from environmental vehicles to parking garage systems, so give them some leeway). But I really like those EOWS sirens, those were just plain weird. You've got to be creative to put a bunch of huge bullhorns bolted onto a box that spins around looking like it's about to fall off.

American Signal is coming up, but American Signal just seems less professional to me. I mean, that Allertor sounds cool, but the design is terrible. And the Hurricane is just freaky. ASC is more of a siren freak show.

Whelen sirens just suck. First off, they look terrible compared to a FS Modulator (or any siren for that matter) and they have almost no range. They could at least try making a real siren.

Sentry tries too hard with their sirens. They're milking the design they use too much. I mean, 10 sirens with the same design? That's way too many options. At least they're trying to change things up a bit with the Defender.

Decot I really don't know much about. The only reason I put it up there is because they make just outright musical sounding sirens with the Maj 3rd interval.

Chrysler made the king of all air raid sirens. You can't deny it. But the fact that there are only, like, 5 in existence pisses me off.

Too many decisions!!!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Daniel

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:59 pm

Decot sirens did not come in a major 3rd -- just perfect 5th or 6th. Major 3rd sirens include the Model 2T, the Hurricane, and a few rare Thunderbolts.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

StonedChipmunk

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:43 pm

That's it... a P6.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”